Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Running

Seven weeks ago, Jim & I began the Couch-To-5K training program. But am I doing the 7th week training this week? No. I couldn't even start the Week 5 training Monday night because I'm still recovering from yet another minor injury. I'm really trying to stay positive, but that's getting harder with every setback.


I've been dealing with my knee limitations for 30 years now....so I know how it goes. I have good years...and I have bad years. Most recently:
  • In January 2008, I stretched my ACL in my 'bad' (left) knee when I slipped on some ice while delivering a load in the U.P. I spent a couple months on crutches, and a total of 4 months in physical therapy. By Summer, I still couldn't walk half a mile. AND I ended-up having to quit driving. BAD year.
  • In the Spring of 2009, I started walking every day. By Summer I was able to add in 2-3 days of running each week. Only 2 miles or so at a time...but that was huge! Good year.
  • 2010 looked promising. I started walking in the Spring and was even doing some interval training. Just when I was getting into a groove, I sliced the back of my heel and up the back of my ankle with our metal screen door. I spent the next few months trying to get that ligament healed so I could stand flat-footed and walk normally. By then, I'd lost the strength I had started to build up in my knees. And Fall and Winter was a my-knees-can't-hardly-tolerate-exercise period (and you can throw in some excruciating female 'issues,' and a subsequent surgery, just as 'icing on the cake.') Bad year.


So in 2011, I am trusting God will grant me a good year. I so desperately want to run again! I can feel real improvement in my knee strength just from the past couple months' training. That has gone a long way to keeping these bothersome little injuries 'minor.' I've  been able to get back to training in just a week or two, rather than a few months.


But I have my moments. When Jim goes to the gym while I sit at home with an ice pack or heating pad on my knee...I pout. When Jim can run the whole segment and I have to walk the last quarter of the segment...I pout. When Jim talks about starting the next week's training and I'm still a week behind him...I pout. When Jim wants to run another race in 1.5 weeks and I have to say I don't think I should yet...I pout. (He's a good husband, though; said he won't run without me. *smile*)


I'M the one who's run before. I'M the one who asked if Jim would do this with me (after I've tried so many things he enjoys since we've been married). I'M the one who wanted to start this training program. I'M the one who thought it would be fun for us to do races together, and with our friends. And now I'M the one struggling physically and he's leaving me in the dust. *big pout*


Through all my pouting, the Holy Spirit keeps whispering a couple Bible verses to me:
Isaiah 40:30-31  30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Hebrews 12:1  Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.


I just have to keep reminding myself it's huge I've been able to run at all this year! And I'm not young; I'm almost 45 and this ol' body takes a little longer to get going, and needs a little more rest after an injury. But I'm not on a schedule, right? My husband isn't running off into the distance and leaving me in his dust. He's right here beside me; we're doing this together.


Most importantly, God has the race marked out for me. He is in control of this part of my life, just like every other. He has His hand over me and has protected me from bigger injuries. He smiles when I smile after completing a training session. He has blessings in store for our marriage through this new joint endeavor. When I stop and consider all the positive aspects running has already brought into my life....I realize there's NOTHING to pout about! I cannot allow the enemy to pull me down into a pity party. I cannot allow the enemy to hinder my training by clouding my mind with negative thoughts. I cannot get so caught up in pouting that I forget how far I've come.


A recent quote on runnersworld.com's Daily Kick In the Butt brought that thought home for me:
Running reminds me that there is more to me than what is readily apparent much of the time. I don't always need to see it, but oh how I need to know it's there.
- Kristin Armstrong, author & runner
So I look forward to starting Week 5 training tonight. I'm still 'feeling' my knees, so I don't know if I'll be able to complete it...but I do know that God is there and He'll help me do as much as I safely can. My part in this is just show up and run.
Kristin Armstrong, Author and runner 

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, injuries are no fun. I'm a basketball player so I know what it is like to be hurt and have to wait on the Lord for healing and patience.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I really do love hearing from you.

Don't forget to Follow Me so you don't miss out on all the important stuff I have to share! *giggle*