Tuesday, May 22, 2012

School's Out



I'm sure this will be an unpopular post to many....but hey, sometimes that happens. *shrugs*.

I have been reading post after post this past week about the last day of school. How Moms are lamenting over another year gone by. About their baby growing up and going into junior high, or high school, or whatever. I read it. I understand it. I just don't "get it."

Never (honest to God...pinkie swear...if I'd been a Girl Scout I'd say scout's honor)...never have I NOT looked forward to my babies growing up! I love my kids. And sure, they were adorable when they were babies, and toddlers, and okay...let's be honest, not  always so much as adolescents *giggle*....but I never wanted them to stay that way. This Mama's heart has always wondered what kind of people they'll grow to be. What will they do? What impact will they make in their little corner of the world?

I've always loved how our relationships have become closer as they get older. I love relating with them more as equals. Of having interesting conversations. Even disagreeing sometimes. It shows they are using their minds to form their own opinions; they're learning how the world works and determining what they like or don't about that. (Don't get me wrong.....I still think if I call "Mama rules!" they should just defer to my opinion and accept whatever I say...but that doesn't happen so much anymore. Gotta work on that. *LOL*)

I guess I just didn't get that 'why do they have to grow up?' gene. But I'm cool with that. And I'm cool with Moms that do get all emotional about it. We're all different, right? (Thank God!!) I just hope Moms don't spend too much time worrying about their kids growing up and leaving....cuz it's pretty cool! (I  won't even go into how stinkin' cool the whole 'empty nest' thing is......when you get back to being a woman full-time, and not just the Mom. Believe me...that has its advantages, too!)

We just have to keep in mind that God didn't intend on them being little forever. We are only their temporary caretakers; He's their eternal. They are the most wonderful gift He can give us, for sure....but life is about growing into who God created us to be. We should enjoy that process. He does! : ))





1 comment:

Thanks for leaving a comment. I really do love hearing from you.

Don't forget to Follow Me so you don't miss out on all the important stuff I have to share! *giggle*