Friday, January 6, 2012

Funerals



I went to a funeral this week. It was for one of my G’ma’s dear friends. She was 96. My first thought Thursday morning was, “Today I go to Vivian’s funeral. *sighhhhh* All G’ma & G’pa’s circle of friends are dying out.” *deep breath and another sign* But after a moment of sad, I realized I had it all wrong. Sure, we were mourning the loss of a very special woman, and my heart ached for her family….but Viv and my G’ma - and many of their friends - were probably rejoicing in Heaven right then and there! That was enough to make me smile. How lucky they are to be reunited. *smile*

This is definitely a subject on which my attitude has changed as I’ve approached middle age. When I was younger, I either felt like I didn’t feel enough loss….or I was an absolute slobbering mess, emotions completely overwhelming me. In the last couple years, however, I’ve noticed it only takes a few moments before my thoughts turn positive. I spend more time remembering the way they impacted my life than worrying about the loss. Earlier this year when another of G’ma’s friends passed, I realized my first thought was envy; Millie got to be with Jesus now! As soon as that thought ran through my mind, my eyes bugged out and I realized I must be getting old! *rolls eyes and laughs*

I’m sure it will be harder if someone really close to me passes, but I know my more-mature faith will give me comfort I just couldn’t understand when I was younger. It’s funny, some of the benefits of getting older. I never had a fear of death (I trust Jesus’ promise of eternity with Him) and I certainly don’t want to leave my family and friends any time soon (Hey, I like being middle aged, remember? LOL), but I have a peace about the prospect now. If you don’t, I know a good book you should read. : ))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I really do love hearing from you.

Don't forget to Follow Me so you don't miss out on all the important stuff I have to share! *giggle*