I know it's almost Christmas when we celebrate my folks' anniversary on December 14th. It's one of the most special days of the year for me! Just like my grandparents before them, they have woven a legacy of love into the fabric of my life. I doubt they'll ever know how they've influenced my ideas on - and expectations of - love and marriage. A few things that I've learned:
- I always knew the love of my life would be the man who held my hand during church. And lo and behold, in one of our early 'church dates,' my handsome husband (MHH) of almost-2-years-now reached over and held my hand as we worshiped. My heart melted, 'cuz that's what my Daddy does with my Mama. ((heart flutters))
- While I'm nowhere near as good at it as she is, my Mama regularly demonstrates her respect for my Father by submitting to his decisions and following his lead. (My husband will tell you, I WANT to do this so much more than I am able. Thank you for being patient with me, Babe.)
- My Father treats my Mother with tender love and respect (and a healthy dose of give-her-a-hard-time-just-because-I-can). Even when he's shaking his head, "No, no, no!" he more-often-than-not places more value on making her happy than his own reluctance. (But if he really doesn't wanna do something, well...end of story. *heehee*)
- My parents are just plain fun! Growing up they were the 'cool' parents that my friends hoped would chaperon band trips, church youth group events, etc. I was - and am - proud to know that so many of my friends really like my folks. *high fives Mom & Dad*
- My parents enjoy one another's company. After 48 years together, I think that's saying a lot. I know a lot of couples that haven't been married 5 years and they can't say that. Whether they're gallivanting around the countryside discovering some new little place to eat, or sitting in their living room watching TV & playing computer games...they're happy to be together. (Okay...not always, I know...but for the most part. *LOL*) And now God's blessed me with a husband who enjoys spending time with my folks almost as much as I do. But then, why wouldn't he?? : ))
- My folks always go to church together. Even when my Daddy worked full time at the factory and farmed full-time...he made time for us to go to church as a family, and to honor the Sabbath. While my folks demonstrate their faith in different manners, I've always knon they love God and trusted Him to see us through some pretty difficult times. And now I'm blessed (are you seeing a trend here?) to have a husband who considers our Sunday worship time together the highlight of our week, just as I do. The couple who prays together, stays together. This, I know, is true.
- My folks aren't perfect (Oh! Sorry, Mom...did you just fall off the chair?)...but they allow that in one another, and they forgive freely. There are no words to say how much I need this in my marriage...cuz I so often "...have the desire to do what is good but I cannot carry it out." (Romans 7:18) Sometimes I wonder how they keep doing that after 48 years...but then I see love just spilling out between them, and my heart knows it's God's grace and their own willingness. And I know that God offers the same grace to my husband and me...and I know that our love is big enough to keep forgiving, too. God is good, isn't He? *sighs thankfully*
So, once again happy anniversary, Mom & Dad. You truly are an inspiration to me. I love you both more than I will ever be able to express. Thank you....
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment. I really do love hearing from you.
Don't forget to Follow Me so you don't miss out on all the important stuff I have to share! *giggle*