...cuz he took at least a couple pounds outta me! *turns sideways* Can't you tell? *turns the other way* Maybe from this angle??? *sighhhh* Yeah...I know...my belly's still distended from all that CO2 they pumped into me. I look 6 months pregnant (which is ironic, isn't it? giggle) But I swear....I bet I look 1.5 pounds lighter next week when all that goes away! *this is where you nod furiously in agreement*
All kidding aside, surgery went well. As many of you know, I was uneasy going into it. But Jim & I prayed about it a lot...and we had a lot of family & friends praying with us; we trusted God would be in control. When Dr stopped in to see me in Pre-Op, we discussed everything again and got on the same page. He wouldn't do anything more than what he deemed necessary, but he wouldn't NOT do something if he felt it might lead to more problems in the future. And bless him, his parting thought was that God made it better than he could fix it....so he'd let that be his guide. THAT'S when God sprinkled a portion of His peace over me and I relaxed into His - and Dr's - hands. (Thank You, Jesus!)
Funny aside: I should've told Pastor Lee I'd give him a wake-up call. That poor man woke up in a panic Thursday morning and rushed to the hospital. When he inquired, he was informed no, I had not checked-in yet. That was when he realized he was an hour early! So he went home, had breakfast, and was still waiting for me in the lobby when we arrived at 7a. *giggle*
Day 1 (Thursday): From the moment I woke up in Post-Op, I felt better than I did after last-October's surgery. I know I was pumped full of anesthesia...but I didn't really have any pain...not even when I sat up higher in bed to drink something. And a few hours later, when I got out of bed (cuz you know you have to pee before they'll let you leave that place), it wasn't near as painful as I remembered. Unfortunately, the couple mini cans of pop, and couple glasses of water, and all those ice chips mysteriously evaporated from my body...cuz I couldn't go. So it was back to bed...where I asked for another IV bag to be hung...and I begged my handsome husband to squeeze it into me. Even after three-quarters of a bag and yet another glass of water...nada. Finally the anesthesiologist came down and gave me an injection to speed things up. He must have gone easy on me, cuz it took almost 30 more minutes before I could even tinkle. But at least I didn't have to lie. I finally got to go home about 5p. My outpatient procedure had taken up 10 hours of our day. *rolls eyes*
Day 2 (Friday): Still felt pretty good...considering. The hardest things were going up/down the 19 stairs to our bedroom, and getting in/out of bed. If Jim had been thinking, he would've set up a couple pulley systems last week. *only partly joking* I felt comfortable enough getting to/from the bathroom (about all I NEEDED to do, right?) that Jim & the boys went up to the campground so they could build a deck extension before it rained again. (Hey, life goes on, right?) My Mama & Daddy brought dinner over and sat with me (til my pain pill started kicking in)...and I was back up in bed by 8p. My little Delilah Lou never left my side. (I missed my Baby Girl, though. She was a better nurse last Fall...not that I don't appreciate D Lou's obvious concern.)
Day 3 (Saturday): Oh yeah...NOW I felt it. Stiffer. Sore-er. Twinging pains. Couldn't sit comfortably. And when I woke up from my first 'nap' of the day...I was lying flat on my back. Who let THAT happen? Jim was in town running errands. Delilah was gonna be of no help. (Even if she wiggled underneath me & pushed up...it would only raise me about 3/4". *giggle*) And I had to pee. Bad. It took me almost 10 minutes to prop myself up on one elbow and finally sit up. Good heavens....I almost didn't make it! I'm sure CO2 gas is light...but I also know it's not supposed to be in there...and I could just feel it bubbling around, squishing my bladder to & fro. *it's not funny. stop laughing...you're gonna make me laugh...and I can't laugh yet. it hurts.* My handsome husband (MHH) took very good care of me all evening...even if he does leave things JUST out of my reach sometimes. *giggle* But then he got all slap-happy when we went to bed. Did no one tell this man it's not polite to crack jokes and make a woman with four abdominal incisions laugh? Could he not tell by the way I sucked-in staccato breaths & shot him nasty looks as I held my gut that I was not sharing in his amusement? I think he got the point when I finally lowered myself into bed and pulled his chest hair. *sticks out tongue at handsome husband* Men are often slow to learn, and it is our job to educate them, is it not, gfs? If you have an upcoming surgery, feel free to share these words of wisdom with your husband...if you think he values HIS chest hair. *bats eyelashes innocently*
Day 4 (Sunday): So far...not feeling a great deal of improvement over yesterday. *sighhhhhhh. Owwwww...breathed-in too deeply. Note to self: Don't do that.* My handsome husband left me a steaming cup of Creme Brule coffee before he went to church. That was about an hour and a half ago...so now I have no choice but to get up and go to the bathroom again. Figure I may as well go for the gold. Yes, you guessed correctly: I'm going to shower today! *waits for applause to die down* No one should have to look at my hair after 3 days of only being able to sleep on my right side. *looks apologetically at handsome husband...even though he's not here* Any bets on whether he even notices? *giggle*
Before I go...I want to thank y'all again for all your prayers, phone calls, and even flowers! Even though this trip down surgery lane is less difficult than my last, it's still not an easy journey. But my God is showing me mercy; I definitely feel it's going to be a speedier recovery this time around. So many blessings in the midst of so much pain. God never fails, huh? : ))
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment. I really do love hearing from you.
Don't forget to Follow Me so you don't miss out on all the important stuff I have to share! *giggle*